You must have at least a Bachelor’s diploma, preferably in economics, econometrics, mathematics, or physics. The Bachelor’s program should have been completed before the start of the MPhil program.
Valid GRE General Test results are required from applicants with a non-Dutch degree. (all 3 sections: Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Analytical Writing). Successful applicants typically perform among the top-10% of test-takers on the quantitative part of the GRE; applicants with a Q score below 160 will not be considered.
Tinbergen Institute’s code number for the GRE is 3811.
Please note: As of this year, students holding a Dutch degree on 1 September (2019), no longer need to submit GRE test scores.
An excellent command of English is crucial. Students whose native language is not English are therefore required to demonstrate English proficiency in one of two ways:
– by holding a degree from a Dutch university or an institution at which English is the language of instruction, or
– by scoring at least 100 on the TOEFL iBT test or 7 on the IELTS test.
Tinbergen Institute’s code number for the TOEFL is 3811.
Note: Chinese nationals should meet the institute’s TOEFL iBT or IELTS requirement; this is a condition for obtaining a NUFFIC Certificate. Chinese nationals (unless already enrolled at a university in the Netherlands) are required to register with the NUFFIC in Beijing to obtain a NUFFIC Certificate (see FAQs for more information).
Students should be strongly motivated to pursue a PhD in economics, econometrics or finance at the Institute. Such motivation will be assessed by a written Statement of Research Interests and Purpose of Study.
You will need to provide names and email addresses of two individuals who are prepared to act as references and who will support your capability and aspirations.
An interview may be part of the selection process
Other admission criteria being equal, preference is given to candidates who show capacity for higher academic performance.
- All documents, including recommendation letters, must be received by midnight (Central European Time) on the day of the deadline.
- Incomplete files will not be considered.
- Admission is always conditional until original or certified versions of diploma’s and test results have been received by TI’s admissions office. We require that official test scores be sent to us directly from the GRE or TOEFL/IELTS organization or can be verified online by us.
Also see: supporting material.