Prof. Jose L. Moraga-Gonzalez, Ph.D.
I am Professor of Microeconomics at the Department of Economics of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (4 days/week), and Professor of Industrial Organization at the Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance of the University of Groningen (1 day/week).
I teach Microeconomics at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Game Theory and Industrial Organization at the Tinbergen Institute, and Regulation and Competition Policy at the Amsterdam University College.
I am also affiliated as research fellow with the Tinbergen Institute, CEPR, CESifo, SOM, CERRE and the Private-Public Sector Research Center (PPSRC) of the IESE Business School.
I am Co-Editor of the International Journal of Industrial Organization, and Associate Editor of the Journal of Industrial Economics. I have also served at the Spanish Economic Review as Associate Editor.
Below you find a list of recent research papers with links to updated versions, as well as a list of research activities I am (or have been) involved in.
· Workshop on “Consumer Search and Switching Costs,” May 31-June 1, UCLA Anderson School of Management, US. NEW!
· Workshop on “Consumer Search and Switching Costs,” June 11-12, 2018, Summer Forum BGSE, Barcelona. (Program)
· Workshop on “Empirical Industrial Organization,” January 26, 2018, Tinbergen Institute. (Program)
· 4th Workshop on “Industrial Organization in the Digital Economy,” March 2-3, 2018, HEC Liège. (Program)
· Workshop on “Behavioural Industrial Organization,” June 1, 2018, Tinbergen Institute.
· Workshop on “The Economics of Platforms,” September 28-29, 2017, University of Barcelona. (Program)
For a complete list of publications, follow this link.
New policy report:
For the reports on Austria, Belgium, France and Germany visit cerre.eu
New working papers and research in progress:
· “Simultaneous Search for Differentiated Products: the Impact of Search Costs and Firm Prominence” (with Zsolt Sandor and Matthijs Wildenbeest). (Paper) NEW!
· “Product Quality and Consumer Search” (with Yajie Sun).
· “Consumer Search and Prices in the Automobile Market” (with Zsolt Sandor and Matthijs Wildenbeest). (Paper)
In the earlier version of our paper we estimate a non-sequential search model (Paper).
· “Competitive Sequential Search Equilibrium” (with Makoto Watanabe).
· “On the Identification of the Costs of Simultaneous Search,” (with Zsolt Sandor and Matthijs Wildenbeest). (Paper).
Recently published articles:
· “Consumer Search in Digital Markets”, in: J.-J. Ganuza and G. Llobet (Eds.): Economic Analysis of the Digital Revolution, Funcas Social and Economic Studies 5, Funcas, Madrid, Spain, 2018, Ch. 6, pp. 181-208. (ISBN: 978-84-15722-95-3) (Paper) NEW!
· “A Model of Directed Consumer Search” (with Marco Haan and Vaiva Petrikaite), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 61, 223-255, 2018. (Paper) NEW!
“Price and Match-Value Advertising with Directed Consumer Search” (2015).
“Consumer Search with Observable and Hidden Characteristics” (2011).
· “Search Intensity, Wage Dispersion and the Minimum Wage” (with Pieter Gautier), Labour Economics 50, 80-86, 2018. (Paper).
“Strategic Wage Setting and Coordination Frictions with Multiple Applications” (2004).
· “Non-sequential Search Equilibrium with Search Cost Heterogeneity” (with Zsolt Sandor and Matthijs Wildenbeest), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 50, 392-414, 2017. (Paper).
· “Do Firms Sell Forward for Strategic Reasons? An Application to the Market for Natural Gas” (with R. van Eijkel and G. Kuper), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 49, 1-35, 2016. (Paper).
E-mail: j.l.moragagonzalez AT vu.nl